In an effort to reduce fraudulent and phoenix activity, from the 1st November 2021 all directors of all companies now need an ASIC provided unique identification number.
This includes directors of corporate trustees of SMSFs and Family Trusts and all small companies.
The fines for not having a number will be huge so it is best to apply for one now and get it done. You only need to do it once and the number stays with you for ever.
Here is what you need to do
- you will need your tax file number
- gather together at least 4 items of your personal ID. eg passport, driving licence, ATO notice of assessment, bank statement, super account details, centrelink payment summary
- download the mygovid app – note this is not the same as mygov app – and set it up to standard or strong identity strength
- Then go to the ABRS website to apply for your Director ID number. When you log on it will send a verification code to your mygovid app.
- Send me your ID number when received in order that we can keep it on our systems
If you are outside Australia you will need to complete a paper form and provide certified copies of your ID documents. The paper form link is here. Note that if your company has foreign directors you need to let them know.
We will be chasing clients for their ID Numbers over the next few months, however it would be great if we didn’t need to!
Lindsay 0413 952180