HELP debt when Overseas

Are you living overseas and still have a HECS or HELP debt?

Or are your kids overseas with such debts?

New rules in 2017 require all non-residents with HELP or HECS debts to let the ATO know, via their mygov account, if they have moved overseas or intend to be away for 183 days in any 12 months, and then ….

  • if their worldwide income was less than $13,717, lodge a 2017 return non-lodgement advice form, or
  • if their worldwide income was more than $13,717, lodge a 2017 tax return to report their worldwide income to the ATO using one of the three methods available.

Where worldwide income is above $54,869 (2016/17), repayments of the debt will be required.

Note the trap. If your income was between $13,717 and $54,869 you still need to report your worldwide income even though you will not need to make any repayments.

If you or your kids require assistance, please get in touch.

Lindsay 0413 952 180

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s